Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I didn't mean to do such a good job

So we took our 5 year old to her elementary school tonight to enroll her for kindergarten in the fall. I was prepared for shyness, crying, some whining, and impatience. I had a whole speech prepared about how wonderful school would be and how much she was going to learn.

Trash that, she did better than I did.

She walked right up to her teacher and introduced herself. She politely asked if she could color and cut. She very nicely waited her turn to play on the computer and then was all kinds of smart on the thing.

She is ready. More than ready.

I'm not a "clingy" mom. I don't wait around after  preschool drop-off for my kids to cry and need me. I don't encourage them to be whiny or clingy or attached. I am matter-of-fact when we get there. I kiss them good-bye and tell them, "I love you, I will be back soon!" And walk out the door.

I really wanted some of that clingy-ness tonight. Instead she pretty much told me to get lost!

I know this is good. I know this means I have done a good job raising her and encouraging her to be independent and self aware. I was really proud when she immediately began interacting with the kindergarten teacher. But, this was one of the few times I wish she needed me a little more!!!!

sigh

I think I deserve a gold star for making sure she has the beginning skills to becoming a reasonable, responsible member of society. I think I earn another star for not crying! And she earns a star for being the stellar little girl I have helped her become.

We will have to re-visit this topic when kindergarten actually starts, but my gut tells me it's going to go very well.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe she is going into K-g already. Sigh! Your a brave mom too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always hard when the first one is ready to start school. Mallory is definitely ready!
    Grandma Violet

    ReplyDelete